Pages

2010-04-25

Aquarium Repurposing Plans

There's something I've been pondering over for a bit of time now.  I guess it all started when I had so much trouble with the whole breeding debacle a couple of months ago, but really it's been a long time coming.  Ever since I've had my aquarium set up, it has always been used as a freshwater aquatic environment.  I've never done anything besides that with it.  Many of you know how fond I am of nature documentaries and stuff like that, and I'd started thinking about possibly repurposing my tank to house a variety of salamander.  Particularly tiger salamanders.  These are terrestrial but need some water for cooling off and laying eggs.  So, needless to say I would need to completely rework the current environment of my tank, as it is right now.

Tiger salamanders are the most common variety of salamander used as pets, and I've come across a number of very helpful videos online about caring for them.  I have not begun this process but I want to do it right so I will be planning this out over time.  I will likely delivery my current stock of fish to Plano Pets sometime next weekend, as they are very good about taking fish off of people's hands.  This is a good alternative to just disposing of them myself.  They are also the place where I will be getting supplies for reforming my tank, and ultimately they will be the ones that supply me with the salamander when that time comes.

But like I said, I want to take my time with this as to not rush it, and I don't anticipate being populated for a couple of months.  I'll share the progress here as I have time.  In the mean time here are a couple of pictures and the first of the instructional videos I mentioned earlier introducing the species.





1 comment:

  1. so you are putting your children up for adoption how sad

    ReplyDelete