Pages

2009-08-15

My Asian Ambitions

In the past week, I had a revelation of sorts. I started to think about what in the world I would do if the unthinkable occurred and I lost my job at Oracle. I guess this is a somewhat understandable train of thought considering the state of today's economy, but it isn't anything I'd invested much thought in before. I have long had good relationships with my colleagues and in particular my direct manager. So, I'd never really given the idea much consideration.
However, I would hate for something like that to happen, and me not even remotely have thought about what I would do next. I began to ponder my situation. Obviously the natural route for me to take would be to simply take some time and conduct a thorough job search, resulting in a new position with a different firm in the same industry I work in now. That would certainly be the easiest of all my options to begin with. That is what the most (relatively) comfortable path would be to take. With that said, it would still be a huge change for me. And those that know me, know that I do NOT handle change very well. Additionally, while I think of all the paths I could take, it would be the easiest up front, I think that I would end up dwindling into the same mental rut I've drifted to before. After a year or so of groundbreaking change, things would mellow out again, and I would become unsatisfied.
So, I started to think, if things were going to be drastically different for me anyway, regardless of what I do, why not go all the way. Try to change it in such a way where I would not end up drifting into a rut. I could have a chance for eventual contentment, and maybe even true happiness.
My plan is this. If I did for some reason lose my job outside of my control, and was forced into this new life, I would take a little time to liquidate all of my physical assets (house, car, etc.) and move to somewhere in Asia. Very likely Southeastern China or northern Taiwan. I have discussed this with very few people at this point as I just came up with it less than a week ago.
So, for the time being I plan to begin slowly learning Mandarin, and as time goes by inform more and more people. Again, I do not anticipate any immediate need for these plans. But if the time ever came that I did...I want to be as ready as I can.
As usual, comments are always welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment